Auckland, Mar 11 : New Zealand all-rounder Colin De Grandhomme is set to undergo surgery on his right ankle, which will put him on the sidelines for 6-8 weeks, country’s cricket board (NZC) confirmed on Thursday.
De Grandhomme’s struggled with the same injury since the start of the 2020-21 season and has been absent from international cricket since March last year.
The 34-year-old has been forced to play as a specialist batsman in the Ford Trophy and Super Smash domestic tournaments.
“It’s been a challenging time for Colin and we hope this procedure will allow him to return with full function in his ankle,” New Zealand Cricket’s medical manager Dayle Shackel said after confirming the injury wasn’t improving as expected.
“It’s anticipated he will need six weeks of rest before he can return to running and another two weeks before he can resume bowling,” he added. Blackcaps coach Gary Stead spoke about de Grandhomme’s importance to their side and expects him to be fully fit for New Zealand’s tour of England in late May and the ICC World Test Championship final against India.
“His contributions to the Blackcaps in the past few years have been outstanding across all three formats and he’s been a huge part of our team,” he said.
“His skills with the ball, power with the bat, and catching in the field make him one of the premier all-rounders in the world and so we’re naturally eager to see him get the injury right and become available for us again.
It’s too early to say what this might mean for our Test tour to England in late May and June, but we’re hopeful following surgery and rehabilitation he will be a chance to make the squad,” he added.
New Zealand will start their preparation for the World Test Championship final against India with a two-Test series against England starting from June 2. The final will be played in Southampton from June 18.